Feeling clumsy in the Netherlands

The Grote Kerk, Haarlem, Netherlands

“Mmmm to the left to the left, everything you own in a box to the left.”

These Beyonce lyrics may one day save your life. If you come from a left-hand driving country to one that drives on the right, this will be your anthem and constant reminder to look left when crossing the road. I, along with friends, adopted this technique when I was studying in Salamanca, Spain and got a swift reminder to reinstate singing this little number every time I step out the door in Haarlem, Netherlands.

I automatically looked right, stepped out and almost got taken out by a bike. Its rider managing to come to a stop centimeters away from me while yelling something in Dutch which I feel fortunate enough to not yet understand. I had a camera around neck, a massive branding mark that I’m a tourist, and I apologise in English. It feels almost like a rite of passage to nearly get run over by a bike in my first week, but I also feel clumsy stumbling around, knowing practically nothing about my new home.

Look at these super cute streets!
It’s all new. Cycling is most people’s mode of transport with bikes outnumbering people in Amsterdam. Bike extensions such as something that looks like a wheel barrow attached to the front end allows parents to load up their kids for an excursion. In the short time I  have been here, I have seen people eating, texting, transporting their groceries and a couple hand holding while riding bikes. The architecture is monotoned red and brown brick with the occasional accent of colour - the old, traditional houses look edible like they are made out of gingerbread. Looking out my window, houseboats line the Spaarne canal and I pass the time watching boats, kayaks and even paddle boarders traverse the waters.   

I remind myself to hold on to this feeling of newness as already the streets are becoming more familiar and I no longer need to look at a map to find my way around town. Experiencing something for the first time is something that I love about travelling and even though I want to accelerate the process of getting to know my new home and feel less like a clumsy tourist, I shouldn’t, and just enjoy the experience one day at a time.
The Spaarne canal

I will never get back seeing my first windmill and tasting my first stroopwafel - two crisp, thin waffles joint together by a caramel filling. But I’m not a tourist here, I am going to be living here for 10 months and want to become part of this environment and involved in the culture and community - at the very least, at the end of 10 months, I want to be able to apologise in Dutch when making a potentially life threatening cultural blunder.  



Some serious bike bling happening here!
Bike life


Canal life

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Boiling with anticipation to travel again

Life without Facebook.

Cooking Up a Storm.