First impressions of Dargaville:




Hiking up from the lakes and overlooking the longest drivable beach in NZ.


It’s an absolutely stunning area to live. Fresh water, Kai Iwi lakes is only 30 minutes away, and the rough beauty of the wild west coast is accessible at Baylys Beach, a short drive away, but living in a small town will take some getting used to.   

I remember coming up for my interview and feeling very much like an outsider. I got a flat white at a local cafe which could compete with any cafe in Auckland, and observed people coming and going. I didn’t feel at ease as I usually do when I enjoy a solo coffee, and I couldn’t really put my finger on it, but now I can – in Auckland, I’m anonymous.

No one really cares who you are or what you’re about when you’re sipping on a latte in Auckland which kind of gives you privacy in public spaces. I could happily read ‘50 shades of grey’ for example, but in Dargaville – and I’m not sure if I’m imagining this or not – comers and goers gave me sideways glances just sort of trying to suss me out a wee bit. I definitely wouldn’t be so bold to pull out smut in public.

Maybe it’s just genuine interest. I can see the plus side of being part of a small community. I imagine that once you get on the inside and people know and like you then it could be quite supportive. For example, at the moment I’m looking for somewhere to rent, and because things aren’t really done on trademe, it’s more word of mouth, it’s hard for me to get anywhere. (It could also be because I want to live out by the beach and I’m being a bit fussy, and where I’m staying right now is so damn nice!)

Gav and I high ten at Baylys: No matter where I am, if I'm by the beach then I feel right at home. 

So in an attempt to make a few friends and become part of the community, I joined an acting class and I’m having fun. We’re just learning the basics, like keeping your body open to the audience, but I always end up giggling in the warm ups. I’ve pretended to be a cat and a lawn mower and growled like a bear and I’m going to be a prompt for the up and coming play – The Real Inspector Hound. 
   
Like anywhere, there are a range of different attitudes, opinions, religions and interests. It’s a bit harder to find ‘like minded’ people because the age demographic is sort of like an apple core – hollowed out of 20 and 30 year olds, but I’ve met some cool people and some... interesting ones too. 

Comments

  1. Keep putting yourself out there and these people will embrace you or not!Good on you for taking the first step! Love you heaps xx

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Boiling with anticipation to travel again

Life without Facebook.

Cooking Up a Storm.