Top ten things I wish I knew before I started my Masters degree:




One: Don't, don’t do it.

Thinking of doing a masters? My biggest piece of advice would be – don’t! Don’t do it, don’t start. I know it’s pretty rough out there and landing a job is like New Zealand breaking a world record on the first day of the Olympics (oh wait – we did that!) but  work for free if you have to. Anything but put yourself through the torture, the pain, the suffering. Save yourself a lot of sleepless nights, panic attacks and oh, probably about five kilos and turn around now.

Are you still with me? Of course you are – because we all have that little light bulb of denial, “Oh yeah, but that won’t happen to me.” Well fellow masochist, maybe I can help you out.

Two: Start by looking at past examples.

Simple right? Look at past examples of people’s work. I did a practical thesis which meant that I also had to write an exegesis. Don’t know what an exegesis is? Until about a month before it was due, I didn’t either. Then I was in panic mode – trying to scrape every little detail about how to write one off the internet. And my search results weren’t too helpful – I was pretty sure I wasn’t meant to rewrite the Old Testament from the bible....

So the most useful thing was to go to the scholarly commons and read some. I went to AUT University (Oh Auckland University of Technology University – I really wish you’d change your name!) so I found past examples here. But I am sure every university has something similar.

BTDubs – An exegesis is defending your practical piece. It is an explanation of why you did what you did, and putting into context how it compares to other pieces of (in my case) journalism.    
    
Three: Read the postgraduate handbook as soon as possible.

Again, simple! Had I walked into the communications department in March 2011 and asked for a copy of the post graduate handbook I would have been greeted with a smile. Instead I walked into the communications department about a month before it was due in to get a copy. The admin ladies frowned and asked, “Is everything ok Rose?”

I smiled sweetly, “Yes almost done!” meanwhile I want to break down as if I had seen Titanic for the first time.



Four: Get somebody to change your facebook password STAT!

Unless your thesis is actually about facebook - do this as soon as possible – the hardest thing is finding the motivation. Facebook is a time vacuum and once it’s gone, you may still procrastinate but at least the procrastination is vaguely related. For example I started to read blogs and pieces of investigative journalism as my “procrastination” instead of looking at holiday photos of your Aunty’s friend’s cousin. 

Danielle – thank you for guarding my facebook account so well. No embarrassing photos posted, no declarations of love to inappropriate people – “liking” my own blog post was pretty much as bad as it got. :-)

Five: Study in the Master’s room.

Doing a Master’s is pretty lonely. You have no classes to meet people and your friends all have grown up jobs where they earn a grown up income and they can spend it doing grown up things. While we have chosen the life of a professional student where we are stuck doing part time work and spending our spare time researching (our facebook profiles).

Go hang out with your “kind” in the Master’s room. They are the only ones who “get” your problems with your supervisor, your issues with endnote and your new heart condition due to excess amounts of coffee and red bull.  

 Six: Make friends with the Liberian.

Save yourself the trouble and set up an appointment with them to find relevant books and articles for your topic. University databases aren’t as savvy as google search and you can waste a lot of time looking for material.

Tip: Use google scholar to find relevant articles and then once you know what it’s called look for them on university databases - then you don’t have to pay to download them.
    
Seven: Listen to your supervisor.

My supervisor and I were more like friends by the end of it. We were a little too comfortable with each other which meant that we could strongly disagree with eachother. But as much as it pains me to admit it, listen to them. They have been through it all before with other students, they know what they are talking about. Make their suggestions and then if you still don’t agree with them, then approach them about it. I look at earlier versions of my thesis and I cringe at how underdeveloped it is.   

Eight: Develop a thick layer of skin.

By the end of it, the red pen (or track changes in word) didn’t make me wince. Usually my teachers are full of positive feedback but I wasn’t prepared for how big a jump in quality from post grad diploma to masters was going to be.  My supervisor wasn’t the most tactful, he would often say, “I HAVE NO IDEA WHAT YOU ARE TALKING ABOUT!!!!” and “THIS MAKES ABSOLUTELY NO SENSE!!!!!!” A hop skip and a jump away from, “ARE YOU ACTUALLY MENTALLY RETARDED???”

Nine: LISTS!

It’s all on you to motivate yourself to do the work. Make daily ‘to do’ lists and stick to it! This skill has now transferred over into real life and it is the most satisfying feeling crossing something off a list! Put some easy tasks on there so you can feel the satisfaction of crossing it out. On my list today was write blog – Oh yeah that feels good.

Ten: Celebrate!

When it’s all said and done – put on your glad rags and have a drink – you’ve earnt it! Walking down Queen’s Street after I handed it in was as close to purer happiness as I have gotten. My heart was all warm and tingly and I couldn’t stop smiling! The end makes the blood, sweat, and tears (and there will be tears) all worth it! I have major respect for anyone who has ever done a Masters and all you people with doctorate degrees? You people are insane! Well done!   

Comments

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Boiling with anticipation to travel again

Life without Facebook.

Cooking Up a Storm.