Coming home



Carefree, matted hair, alpaca sweater, world wonder, sunset - this photo pretty much sums up why I love traveling



I returned to New Zealand on July 19 after nine months of traveling. This line sounds very similar to the start of all my cover letters as I am now scrambling to find a job, pay off debt, and join the grown up world again. Coming home is a mixture of bitter sweet. It’s so nice to see my family, friends and my parents’ pups again, but it’s not that easy. 

I have now been on two significant and life changing trips. One in my early twenties which was filled with parties and travel romances, and one in my late twenties which was more about learning new things and trying to be a global citizen. There were times that gratitude overwhelmed me. Whether it was at the top of the Grand Canyon feeling humbled by the vastness of my surroundings, or on a boat in India where a man plonked his smiling child in my lap - which counteracted the feeling of hopelessness after seeing the island we had just been on choking in plastic waste. These trips have taught me what facebook info-graphics try to - we only have one life and should not waste it. 

Even though travel has essentially given my life meaning - coming home is tough. At first it’s great to see everyone – but then the differences between me and my family and friends become very apparent.
I have spent all my money on travel. To me, it is a great investment and one that has kept me sane and grounded as I soar through the air, but it means I haven’t saved for a house, I don’t own a car, or even a smartphone and pretty much my worldly possessions can fit in a backpack. In this in-between time while I’m living with my parents and unemployed – I don’t have much to say when I meet someone new and they ask me, “what do you do?” I can tell them all about past me, but present me hasn’t got much going for her at the moment. 

I don’t necessarily want any more possessions than the ones that can fit in my backpack though. Especially after being to places like India and seeing how some people can survive and be happy with much less than what I have and I am very grateful to have the little I’ve got. Travel teaches you to put less value on material things and live a minimal life just by the constraints of only carrying what’s on your back. If you have ever done any walking with 20 kilos on your back, you will soon be evaluating your decision to bring a hair straightener and a blow dryer and you will most likely strip back to the essentials and give the luxury items away. Messy, matted travel hair is awesome anyway.

While travelling, a common theme I hear is, “traveling makes me grateful for what I’ve got at home.” New Zealand is beautiful. My family and friends are amazing and I am so lucky to have been born here, but I am also grateful for the lessons I learnt while I was overseas. 

I have learnt that I don’t want a life cluttered with things; I would rather have a life littered with experiences. I would rather spend money on a meal with a friend than buy a new item of clothing – and I realise that sometimes I look a little bit homeless because of this – a friend described it nicely as ‘bohemian’. 
 
Through the process of writing this, I have also realised that I am incredibly lucky that I have been able to drop everything and go. I didn’t have a mortgage, kids, or any other responsibilities that tie me to one place and require me to hold down a steady job. So even though present me is a bit of a loser, I am so grateful for my past. Here’s to the future, whatever it may bring.   

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Boiling with anticipation to travel again

Life without Facebook.

Cooking Up a Storm.