Top 10 moments of the Rugby World Cup 2011.

All Blacks flags still fly high with pride, and the little tatty flags at some restaurants are still up. It’s probably time to reel them on in, it’s a bit like having your Christmas decorations up well into February, but we are rugby mad, and so damn proud! WE DID IT! AND WE DIDN’T CHOKE like everyone said we would! So time to reflect and celebrate on my top ten moments of the Rugby World Cup, 2011.  
1.       The Semi-Final - New Zealand V Australia:

You may ask, why not the final? Well even though the media hyped it up as an “epic” game – it wasn’t epic at all. We won by one point, and it was a struggle. There was no enjoyment watching that game, and I am pretty sure New Zealanders aged a good five years during those 80 minutes.

The better game was New Zealand v Australia in the semis. My flatmate, Shai and I got all dressed up in our All Blacks gear, and that weekend we were on a boat full of Australians. They were cocky and confident that they had it in the bag and joked with us that we would feel awfully silly wearing black tonight. “Be bold in gold girlies” they taunted.

How sweet it was to return to the boat and wave our oversized All Blacks flag – Shai would often be in danger of poking someone’s eye out with it, and I had to take away her flag waving privileges a few times – but when it was the Aussies, I didn’t mind her waving it in their face.

To their credit, lot of Aussies shook our hands and were good sports about it.



2.       Being on a mother****ing boat:

Did I mention that I was on a boat like Leo?

Shai  found an insane deal on the internet where you got tickets to both semis, and 3 nights accommodation on a cruise ship with all meals included! Even though I am a poor arse student, I couldn’t refuse this deal. Even my mum, who I thought no doubt would give me a lecture about money, praised me for living in the moment and grabbing hold of this once in a lifetime opportunity.

It was fabulous! We lounged by the pool, read Stephen Hawkins, ordered breakfast in bed daily, and admired how beautiful our city was.



It was a holiday about 50meters away from our apartment, but it was great all the same. When I departed, the security guard told me to “have a great time in New Zealand!”, I smiled sweetly and said, “thanks”, just to make my holiday last that tiny bit longer.  

3.       Auckland being infiltrated by “trees”.

If you are a fan of the movie, “Bridemaids” like me, you will know this quote:

“I’m glad that he’s single, because I’m going to climb him like a tree”

Since the advent of that movie, “tree” has since become a code word among my friends for a good looking guy. Usually when you go out, it’s slim pickings, there may be a few bushes around, but hardly any trees, and when there is a tree, the gardeners are quick to act.

But no, not when the rugby was on, they seemed to grow over night, and there was a whole forest! I couldn’t walk to uni without stumbling into a tree with an Italian accent.

When Argentina left the world cup, it was a sad day for eligible gardeners, and nimble climbers.
   
4.       “Finding” a Welsh flag when all the stores had sold out.

Picture this: Semi final – Wales v France. Decked out head to toe in red and white. We have an oversized hand thing that has “we’re number one”, red whistles, and red pom poms. All we are missing is a Welsh flag. Shai nearly threw a tanty in the two dollar store because we had missed out.

Fan trail, someone has conveniently abandoned a piece of red material, and wrapped up inside this, is our treasure, a welsh flag! Ready to be waved loud and proud at the game! Thank you universe! You may think, well gee Rose, that sounds a awful lot like stealing... Nope, nope, it is the universe giving us what we want.



5.       Japan v France.

One of the early games we went to, and also one of the best! The stadium was electric! Japan really seemed like they had a chance at winning - imagine a New Zealand V Japan final?

There was a charismatic Japanese guy right by us that started up loads of chants and Mexican waves – GO NIPON!

6.       Shed 10.

What will become of you now shed 10? So much fun had there under the giant screens, the sticky floors, and at the free concerts. A great place for a nature lover to admire the native and indigenous forest...

7.       The cloud and the rugby ball.

Bound by Jewish guilt, my flat mate dragged us to see cloud in exhibition mode, and go into the giant rugby ball on the last day, and I am so glad she did.

The movie at the cloud highlighted some of New Zealand’s most recent inventions and innovations, proving that we are more than a nation of rugby mad fanatics. We still have that loved “no. 8 wire” fence ingenuity, and ya just felt proud to be a kiwi.

The giant rugby ball also wasn’t too much about rugby, and more about the wonderful sights and sounds of New Zealand wraped up in a special effects package.
    
8.       Meeting Drew Mitchell from the Wallabies.

Before the world cup had even began, I popped into work, and Damiana grabed my arm and squealed, “Rose, is that Drew Mitchell?” I had no idea who Drew Mitchell was, but there was one hot tree sitting at Vulcan lane cafe. We googled him and we were convinced that we were in the presence of a rugby superstar, and worked up the courage to go say hi.


    
9.       Getting a photo with an ex captain of the French rugby team (and asking the wrong person for the photo.)

One night at Queen’s Ferry two French guys came into the bar and just stood there and looked around. “Can I get you guys something to drink?” I asked. They declined and stood there for a bit longer. I gave them a quizzical look, they explained:

“Just between us, that guy sitting behind us is quite a big deal in France. He’s a famous rugby player.” My eyes lit up.

“Really? Why don’t you go say hello?”

They were too embarrassed and left. Dami and I really wanted a photo for our RWC facebook album, so when they left we asked if we could have a photo. Silly me asked the wrong dude! Awkwardly the right person stepped into the photo.



10.   Winning! Just like Charlie Sheen, but better...

The game might have been stressful, but all was forgotten when Richie held up the cup. We won, it was by one point – so what? We won! The guy next to me opened his steinlager (which he had been saving since we last won in 1987 – advertising really works huh?) and sprayed it round, offering everyone a sip. Strangers hugged, and grown men cried. We won. It is ours.    
    

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Boiling with anticipation to travel again

Life without Facebook.

Cooking Up a Storm.