One long and lonely month...

Right that’s it, my liver is shouting at me, enough is enough! My friends are starting to joke that I should leave my “mates” at home, you know, 10 decibels louder Rose. Arrogant Rose. Dead to the world the day after a hard night Rose. Mostly though, mostly the reason that I want to be sober during the month of June is to prove that I can do it. To prove to myself that I do not need a drink, that I’m not addicted, and can give it up if I needed to.

Since my awkward teenage years where we’d drink cheap n nasty Kristov vodka and orange juice and end up puking in the rose bushes, I can’t recall a week that I’ve gone without a drink. It’s so ingrained in my way of life, that I feel awkward when I’m in a social situation and I do not have a drink in my hand. When I was younger this would be at a party, however as I’ve gotten older this extends to going out to dinner. It’s not only that I feel awkward, but it’s also that I enjoy a glass of wine with my meal. I also enjoy shedding the layers of insecurity, and emerging as a confident, witty fun version of myself after a couple of drinks.

Alcohol is responsible for some of the defining moments of my life. Some good, some bad and some down right disgraceful. maybe one day I will tell you about them. Who would I be if I didn’t drink alcohol? I think I would be a completely different person. A fitness junkie? A highly successful career women? A nun? Who knows. Would my friends be different? We all share the common interest of drinking. I never get a text on a Friday or Saturday night saying, “Hey hun, we’re gonna play board games and drink spirulinas tonight, wanna come?”

So anyway, this is my challenge. The reason that it is going to be such a challenge is that I’m a student by day, however at night I’m a duty manager at a bar. Every night we get a free drink at the end of our shift, and sometimes the only thing that keeps you going is looking forward to that damn drink. Temptation from all directions, but I will be strong and stick with the water!

If you’re keen to have board game nights, and juice and smoothie parties, let me know!


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Boiling with anticipation to travel again

Life without Facebook.

Cooking Up a Storm.